Friday, June 19, 2009

Gauge Cluster


Like everything else with this car the gauge cluster was in bad shape. All the chrome had been sanded off and was brush painted black. Of course it was done badly and the black had mostly flaked off so it looked aweful. I was about to replace the bezel and go with brand new autometer gauges which all told run about $1000 when you include the wiring harness. After some random mustang searches on google I stumbled onto a $100 tach made by retrogauge that fits in the center option hole of the cluster. Its available in either white or black faces with either 6k or 8k limits. I got the white face 8k version from mustangs unlimited and it dropped in every bit as easy as they said it would. Although its not as nice as going the autometer route its about $900 cheaper and looks almost as nice. I decided I like the the white gauge faces and I found the Scott Drake white faces that stick onto the orignal faces. They were a little pricey for what they are but they are good quality and look fantastic when applied. The orignal wiper switch was retained but looked pretty bad. I tried finding a replacement but was unable to. I found www.averagejoeresto.com who suggested using steel wool to clean it up, and sure enough 20 minutes later it looks great. As a final touch I painted the needles with some neon orange paint from the local hobby shop. The final product looks awesome and its one more small thing I can check off my list. Here is an after pic which doesnt really do it justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment