Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dissasembly

I have spent the last 6 months or so taking the car apart and preparing my workshop (aka garage) for this project. Most of the parts are bad or rusted so I didn't bother to catalog much of anything. I pretty much just kept tearing things apart until I had a big pile of rusty stuff. This approach is likely to cause some headaches down the road but its done now so no point to cry about it. Here are some pics of what it looks like now.



A good shot of whats left of the floor. The whole thing is rusted beyond repair and I have a full floor ready to be installed. The problem is common on early Mustangs and it's caused by leaking cowl vents which will also need to be replaced. It's a labor intensive job so most cars have not had it done.



At a glance the front looks pretty good. If you look close at the frame you can see its completely shot and the rust cancer has spread to a point that it is beyond repair. Everything from the firewall forward is coming off. The only possible survivor is the radiator support.




The car was an orignal 289 2V but that was long gone. When I got the car it had a '71 302 with 351 heads, edelbrock performer intake and carb. It was mated to a C4 trans that was puking its guts out. The only thing I might keep is the block, the rest I am getting rid of.

No comments:

Post a Comment